Certified Employment Support Professional™
Looking for more information? Please join CESP™ Certification Director, Aaron Wiseman, on December 18th, 2014 at 1pm Eastern for an informative webinar on the CESP™Exam.
Register online here
APSE has established the Employment Support Professional Certification Council (ESPCC) to oversee the first national certification program for employment support professionals. Now job coaches, job developers, transition employment specialists, job placement personnel, and employment specialists/consultants* can earn the designation of Certified Employment Support Professional (CESP™) by passing the national CESP™ examination.
The CESP™ Certification Program was created in response to increasing demand for a system to identify trained, experienced employment specialist. Consumers need a way to directly find a qualified person that could help them be successful. Employment professionals want to enhance the professionalism in their field.
The Employment Support Professional Certification Council (ESPCC) was established in 2011 by the APSE Board of Directors to establish and implement policies and procedures for the CESP™ certification program and to oversee the development of the CESP™ examination. The ESPCC is responsible for developing and overseeing all aspects of the certification program.
The CESP™ program sets a standard of knowledge and distinguish employment support professionals who have shown they have the skill and competence to perform the requirements of the job. The ESPCC developed the CESP™ for professionals who provide employment services to individuals with a variety of disabilities including intellectual, mental health, autism spectrum disorders and multiple physical & sensory disabilities.
The CESP™ program is the first in the nation to create national guidelines to validate and support the training currently provided in the field. Unlike training programs that provide a certificate of completion, the CESP™ exam tests candidate’s ability to apply the training in real world examples. National standards insure professionals across the country are using cutting edge service delivery, design and ethics.
Created by subject matter experts and leaders in the field of disability employment, the CESP™ exam seeks to define the benchmarks for knowledge and competency in the field in the following areas:
- Application of Core Values and Principles to Practice & Legislation and Funding
- Individualized Assessment and Employment / Career Planning
- Community Research and Job Development
- Workplace and Related Supports
- Ongoing Supports
- Increases the visibility of competent professionals.
- Helps consumers connect with professionals they can trust.
- Creates a standard that defines the roles and responsibilities of employment support professionals.
- Improves employability and provides opportunities for salary and career advancement.
- Legitimizes and enhances professionalism in the field.
For Employment Support Professionals:
CESP™ certification shows colleagues, supervisors and the individuals that you serve that you completed a rigorous process to earn your national professional credential.
For Provider Agencies and Community Rehabilitation Programs (CRPs):
- Employing CESP™-certified professionals, increases your credibility with community business leaders
- Opens the door to new employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
Supporting CESP™ Certification for Your Staff:
- Increases your marketing edge with employers & businesses
- Assures the public and consumers of your commitment to best practices
- Validates your commitment to ethical and safety standards
More Information or Sponsor an Exam Session
For more information or to sponsor an exam session in your state please contact:
Aaron Robbins Wiseman
CESP™ Certification Director